Child theme different to Parent

Ask Theme Settings & Configuration Related Issues Here

Moderator: forum_m

mharris

Child theme different to Parent

Post by mharris » October 31st, 2014, 11:32 am

Hi there,

I have installed Weblizar Premium and already uploaded some content. I had actually already added some of the content to the site when I was using the free version, and I had to 'activate' it on the premium site.
I wanted to make some slight changes to the look of the (premium) site so I then created a child theme.
The child theme looks completely different to the parent theme! for example in the child the background is woodgrain, the menu is vertical, and all the sizes of photos are different.

1. Should I have created the child theme before creating/adding any content?
2. Is adjusting everything using CSS the only way to make the Child version look more like the Parent
3. If 2. is true and I decide I'm better off using the Parent weblizar-premium theme, do I lose any changes when it is updated even if I have not altered any CSS, but only created/uploaded content using the Wordpress dashboard?

Thanks for any help!

admin
Site Admin

Re: Child theme different to Parent

Post by admin » October 31st, 2014, 7:01 pm

Hello,

1) The Child-Theme may be created earlier , The main purpose of creating child-theme to avoid data lost while making customization in the themes core files. No content will be lost before and after upgrade.
2) Importing styles.css of parent-theme makes the child-theme look like a child of the Parent.
3) As I mentioned above . when you add content only using Editor No data will be lost. after upgrade.

Thanks

mharris

Post by mharris » November 2nd, 2014, 3:46 am

Thanks.
I don't plan to change much of the style of the theme so i think i will use the parent theme for now as the changes shouldn't be lost after an upgrade. I will keep trying to get the child to look like the parent in the meantime. I imported the css of the parent but that obviously didn't work correctly.
Thanks for your help

admin
Site Admin

Post by admin » November 2nd, 2014, 3:07 pm

Hi mharris

The css changes to we have provide option in theme option panel.

Add your custom css code in theme option => custom css box.

Save the changes.

These css code is work in y parent theme.

If you have more query let me know.

Thanks

mharris

Post by mharris » November 5th, 2014, 1:12 pm

Great, thanks!

Return to “Theme Settings & Configuration”