Number of hosting businesses are giving up on shared hosting and reason for most of them is security. Cyber threat industry has become around 4-5 trillion industry and profitability that one can never imagine. But as everything is online nowadays, these threats cannot refrain people from doing anything online but actions must be taken to boost IT security. This misconception amongst people of seamless security in dedicated server hosting but believe it or not there have been cases where cybercriminals have breached the barricades of dedicated server hosting without any trouble. So to protect your data on the website look out for uncompromising data security techniques.
The very purpose of dedicated server hosting of rendering strict security, is not fulfilling then what is the use of putting that much amount of money into dedicated server hosting at the first place. Data has no boundaries and with the number of cyber-attacks increasing each month, securing your business data should be top priority. As the customer don’t tolerate the downtime very well and don’t care about the malwares or any other issue lying under your infrastructure. This might lead to losing the customer’s loyalty forever.
There are some security tips that will secure your dedicated server-
Sometimes people just start installing software from the very first they get available on the internet. Most of the times they get attract by deals like “Free Software Download”.
But on the first place install software that are of utmost importance to you. Then comes the question of the resource of installation. The resource of software installation should be clean. Lets say for example a lot of accountants and CPAs install intuit authorized software for QuickBooks hosting on a dedicated server that receives timely security updates. Also, try to remove all that software that are unessentially been long living on your server and haven’t been updated for a long time. This non-updated software that used once in a blue moon invites hackers to launch the attack on your system.
– The servers running on older updates makes the server susceptible and more likely to ravage by these barnacles. So for this keep a track of all the updates on a daily basis. Procrastination in the case of installation of updates is s strict no if you want the experiences of dedicated server hosting worth remembering. Being updating not only minimizes the threats to your server improves the efficiency of your server. Hence, always ask for a managed server that stays update from your hosting provider.
– Till now I think you must be acquainted with the vulnerability of server data. Hence, it is strongly recommended to keep a daily backup off all the data because in no time your data will be breached and you will be left coerced with hands tied. All the data must be saved in the cloud backup along with immense security measures. Cloud storage for backup is a very different approach to hard drives. In cloud storage, you are trusting with your data storage provider servers over the internet.
– It is highly recommended to never save your login credentials and always make sure that you are logging in through trusted network. When your computer is connected through a local network, the probability of harm to your system is quite high. In fact, any additional source logging into the server through a public network. Therefore, always try to keep a single network inside a server to logging in into anywhere.
– Before buying cloud hosting plan, be very certain about the built-in protection they are providing. There is no harm in asking for additional security features and go for the best service in the market and the most reliable one. It is always worth knowing if there are any extra security features which your service provider is providing and how these extra features are helpful. Complex operations such as data or Office 365 migration needs to be taken care of from start to end to avoid data loss and proper backup techniques.
– These cybercriminals mostly try to hack the customer’s database as they store in crucial financial information. To secure your databases keep the database user privilege to a minimum. Firstly, delete the unnecessary data and restrict the user interaction between the customers and the database.
– SSH (Secure Shell) is a protocol that enables secure system administration and file transfers over insecure networks. To restrain the hackers, try to use the SSH port in the place of the direct root login. Also using SSH keys as a substitute to passwords to get access to the dedicated server is the next good way to disguise your database.
– To handle the security breaches, Plan B should make as a pre-emptive measure. As these situations come uninvited. Deal these types of situations with the most nonchalant attitude. Always keep in touch with the company’s data centers and focus that how this could affect their customers directly or indirectly. According to that shoot the pre-written emails to all the customers informing them properly about the breach with the assurance that their data are in secured hands.